the sweet green life

the sweet green life
My sweet depiction

Saturday 8 September 2012

My Green journey

My interest in the environment began a long time ago, when I used to be sent out in the backyard when I misbehaved. I remember looking up at the stars and thinking how small I am in such majestic world. Oddly enough, the punishment was an atonement towards a naturalistic view of the world that I am proud to have. Yes, I used to thank God for such beauty and I used to cry that I was not feeling I was part of it...
As a grown woman, I grew up thinking about my foot print but not as much as my first year being hired as a middle school part time science teacher six years ago. I remember that summer, I researched about all the things I was going to teach and in our board there was an environmental focus. I began to take a very passionate stance about my teaching about the environment and teaching science in general as accessible, specially as a teacher in what is considered in Toronto a priority school-because of the low income and crime instances that this neighborhood was known for. I had learned about the importance of marrying science and the environment as well as making it all real and giving kids a hands on opportunity to experiment and become informed. Needless to say, my passion has continued even though I no longer teach science. I take my role as a teacher very seriously and I do so because I have a passion about what I do and the impact I have on my students. Last year, I organized an origami club to help my students rethink about how we use paper. We made folder dividers out of cereal boxes, we made houses and structures out of boxes, we planted trees and plants and we took every opportunity to craft green.
I encourage anyone with children to educate them about the importance of our footprint on this earth. Last year, i taught grade 3 for the first time and i began my environment agenda with the wonderful book called "the Lorax" and then it went on from there.
But most importantly, I think part of being able to love our planet, comes from our ability to believe we are part of it, as wonderfully crafted as those stars in the night. Being able to believe that we are part of this world, helps us to take ownership and to have our very own green journey.
With a smile always,
Doris :)

1 comment:

  1. Waaaay to go Doris!! I hope to do much of the same 'green friendly' ideas you do when I'm teaching in the classroom one day!! :)

    ReplyDelete