the sweet green life

the sweet green life
My sweet depiction

Sunday 9 September 2012

Green wedding

A week ago my husband's cousin got married and it was a wonderful and sweet event. Two people uniting their identities, their lives and commitment in an act of solidarity with their loved ones. So much sweetness got me thinking about our own wedding.
Last week, I looked at our wedding pictures, my wedding planner binder, and my blog- yes, I began one a long time ago a year before we got married( http://dndulcelove.angelfire.com). I began with such hopes of writing a lot but then wedding planning got the best of me and I couldn't keep up. However our plan of having a green wedding was always on our minds and we thankfully followed through with it.
Our wedding invitations were done with beautifully crafted handmade paper- initially I was going to make the paper but it got too busy so we bought it from a whole seller- yes the paper was recycled and handmade with the only shortcoming that it was made in Thailand.
For the wedding favors we gave out locally grown herbs from Richter's herbs, a wonderful, organic and local Ontario greenhouse. We gave different types of common herbs and the name tag of each herb was also used as a name card. It was a big hit for everybody.
We were very lucky that my husbands' parents contributed by paying our venue and we got married at Black Creek Pioneer Village which is located in Toronto and which serves their own produce, free range meats and baked goods from flour from their very own mill...
For decorations, I repainted many candelabras with white paint. I had collected these from garage sales or from second hand stores. We both are fascinated by the benefits of honey bee candles so we bought those for the candle holders. I went to a charity wedding gown sale that benefitted a woman's shelter- where dresses were second hand or donated by stores-and I found my gorgeous gown there. We bought my bridesmaids eco- friendly body products, I handcrafted window flower hangings that would be reused in the church and reception venue which in this village are a walking distance apart. I used an old big wooden frame that I bought at a garage sale and stretched handmade paper on to it and hand sewed old fashioned buttons to place the seating Groups and the tables were named by herbs placed on the table.
I really do believe that a wedding does not have to be an extravagant event that compounds debt and waste, making a statement about who you are can include Eco friendly ideas and contributions that allows others to embrace you and our world-
There were so many other little details that made our special day extra special and sweet but of course the best of all hose things was getting married to each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment