the sweet green life

the sweet green life
My sweet depiction

Thursday 26 July 2012

Camping in the wild

Camping is a sweet reminder how much we belong to nature and how far we've strayed from it. My parents, brother, cousin, husband and I came to a Northern region in Ontario called Penetanguishene which is surrounded by the Georgian bay. We went to a provincial park called Awenda for three nights. The park was a green beauty, lots of trees and apparently some wildlife including never before seen insects (in my younger brothers' and mine eyes) and bears...
We had three days and part of a morning to confront the wilderness and our selves.
We found ourselves doing a lot of talking and sometimes we talked about things that we were so accustomed to in our city lives specifically movies and tv shows. It's interesting to think how much influence our technology and media lives and those of others has in our conversations- and sometimes even our lives.
Yet, being in nature reminded us also about what truly matters in our survival- we made it without the Tv, Internet, fashion, gadgets, etc. Food never tasted better, the closeness and the conversation was intimate, the air was pure, the time went by peacefully and slowly, we exercised and spent a grand time swimming, enjoying all that nature has to offer.
All was excellent, except for the warning we were given about bear sightings- on my first night there I could not sleep! It's amazing how the mind can play tricks on you when you are scared. Any noise I heard, I thought it was some bear listening to the sleeping giants in their tents and ready to attack. So much for priding oneself of being in love with nature-but it is in that fear that one must find respect for its' living creatures. I am in awe of its'. beauty, as well as, the humbling realization that we are neither alone nor the best or strongest.

2 comments:

  1. Hi. I saw your blog from your freecycle post. Looks like you had fun camping.

    so Just saying Hi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, aww thanks:):)!! Yeah, I did, it was great but also had a hard time sleeping thinking of bears lol:)

      Delete