the sweet green life

the sweet green life
My sweet depiction

Wednesday 17 October 2012

Beef E- coli outbreak

Last time there was a case of salmonella outbreak at the Maple Leafs foods meat packaging warehouses in the GReater TOronto region was some couple of years ago. During that time my hesitance to eat red meat and pork was strongly emphasized. It wasn't hard for me as I have always had a less than favoured take on cold cuts.
I just remembered thinking this legitimizes my dislike for meat and the way it's produced in mass.
Not surprisingly, I lived with out red meat for over three years and it felt great. I really thought about what is in my mouth and where it came from. Recently, with the XL meat plant e-coli outbreak some of those same feelings have resurfaced in me- I haven't stopped eating meat outright but I am more conscientious about who I buy it from.
It doesn't matter where you stand on the food chain issue- for some, a vegetarian lifestyle speaks to them as a response of stomach preferences and as a demonstration of their Eco values. Promoting meat eating diets en masse, means less forest areas in many parts of the world that must meet the demands of meat items in fast food chains. On the other hand, values can be demonstrated in many different ways not just by being a vegetarian.
For myself, a complete veggie lifestyle is not impossible. Yet, I am still debating with myself if it is who i really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment